Monday, February 10, 2014

Diapers and Poetry

I was changing Baxter's diaper today when I realized that he's going to be six weeks old on Thursday!  Then I started thinking about when I would start using cloth diapers since I think he's big enough now.  Then, I realized, "Holy Cow!"  He's almost six weeks old and I haven't bought a single diaper or wipe since he's been born.  That's a LOT of diapers and wipes that people gave us before or once he was born.  I knew we had gotten a lot, but seriously, we use about 10 diapers a day.  How about a math lesson?  Six weeks times seven days a week = 42 days.  42 days times 10 diapers a day = 420 diapers!!!  And we still have at least a couple hundred more to go!!  I am ready to set up my cloth diaper system and get it going, but I am going to finish out these size 1 diapers while I've got 'em!  (Oh, yeah, and there are a couple of packs of size 2 and 3 stored away that were gifts, too!)

We tried to start poetry today.  The kids like the silly poems.  It's hard to water down my 8th grade teaching of poetry, but I think the most important thing is that silly is okay and rhyming is fun.  When I looked at the Core Knowledge teacher's guide for Kindergarten, it showed that analysis of poetry doesn't start until 4th grade.  There were several terms for the teacher to be aware of but that the student did not necessarily have to learn like alliteration, personification, simile, metaphor, etc.  The Ingram School kids already know about personification, so if we don't learn any more terminology, but have a fun time reading poems and rhyming, we'll be okay.  We might even sneak in some Valentine Poems!!

We learned about reptiles today, will do amphibians tomorrow, and wrap up animals this week.  Math is going well and handwriting is all about Valentine's Day this week.

It's good to be an Ingram.

No comments:

Post a Comment