Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Learning our Lessons and Following the Rules

Today was just a "normal" school day (reading, math, writing, play time, etc.) plus story time.  I don't have much to report about what we wrote, read, and played, but I do want to write about the craziness that ensues when kids don't follow the rules and don't get enough sleep.  We try not to have too many rules in this house or for school time, but two very important rules we do have are "Keep your hands to yourself." and "Don't put things around your neck or anybody else's."  It truly is hard for a 5, 3, and 2 year old to keep their hands to themselves, especially when they're being sweet and want to hug each other, but it turns into a wrestling match.  I feel like I am constantly remind them not to touch, though, because it always ends up with someone whining, crying, or getting hurt.  I'm really struggling with coming up with some immediate consequences for this other than just plain old time out.  Let's face it, Rachel probably prefers having quiet time to herself with no one bothering her.  I would like a Time Out myself sometimes!  Sometimes I think they are learning more by being the person who ends up getting hurt and then we talk about why it's not a good idea to touch.  I really don't like learning lessons the hard way, but I am seeing that it makes more of an impact then just having your mother repeat over and over what not to do.  I'm hoping Ford learned the rule about not putting things around your neck today, but it sure was scary to watch.  I know it probably sounds like a crazy rule to have, but somehow every jump rope, scarf, and blanket turns into a puppy leash around someone's neck or a way for pretend trains to couple up.  After yelling and screaming and doing things that I'd never want to see myself in person do, I could not get this through to them today that it is not a good idea to put something around your neck or anyone else's.  The jump rope had been put away, the blankets were banned to their beds, and there was not a scarf in sight.  However, when we finally made it outside to play (thank God for sunshine!), Ford made a big mistake.  He went up in the fort while the girls and I were swinging and playing in the sand box.  Everyone was having fun and getting along and in a good mood at the same time for what felt like the first time today when suddenly I heard Ford yell, "Mama!" in a panic and stumble on the slide.  I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but when I ran the two feet to the slide he was trying his best to climb back up the slide with a rope around his neck and head that was attached to a hook on the fort.  This rope was part of the pulley system that Allen had put together when they changed the playhouse to a fort and had a bucket attached to it at one time.  I have no idea why Ford wanted it around his head and I think he was just going toward the slide and either tried to reach for something or slipped, but talk about being scared out of my mind!  Poor guy has a rope burn on the side of his face and definitely scared himself.  We sat together once I got the rope off his head and thrown to the front yard and talked about the importance of not putting anything around or necks.  I went so far as to explain to him that he could have died.  I know he doesn't fully grasp what that means, but I really want it to sink in to him to stop doing this.  The look in his eyes told me he got it, but we'll see.  I can't stop thinking about how badly that situation could have gone.  I hope it was just a lesson learned and an end to it all.  After that craziness everything finally seemed to calm down and go back to a normal day.  I was really starting to feel like I had lost it today and was in a crazy alter-universe where my kids were not themselves, but Allen promised me it was them, not me.  We put them to bed about 45 minutes early tonight with the hope that they'll catch up on some sleep (did I mention no one napped today longer than 30 minutes???).  Here's hoping tomorrow is better.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that made my heart skip a beat. I'm so glad he's ok. Lesson learned I hope.

    ReplyDelete